[asterisk-users] G729 - what happens if licences used up?

Thu Feb 20 11:32:54 CST 2014

On 20/02/14 17:16, Paul Belanger wrote:
> On Thu, Feb 20, 2014 at 10:40 AM, Tony Mountifield<tony at softins.co.uk>  wrote:
>> I haven't been able to find the answer online, and am not currently
>> able to conduct an experiment to find the answer...
>>
>> I understand that in a SIP call where G729 has been negotiated as the
>> preferred codec, a G.729 licence is not consumed until there is a need
>> to perform transcoding, e.g. play a non-g729 sound, or do voicemail,
>> or enter a Meetme, etc.
>>
>> What happens when a SIP call in progress needs a G.729 licence and
>> they are all in use already? Does the call fail, or go silent, or do a
>> re-INVITE to negotiate another codec?
>>
>> I'm interested in what happens on Asterisk 1.2 (for a legacy system),
>> and also whether it is any different on later versions.
>>
> The question depends if you are offering up other codecs or not.  If
> you only using g729, the call will fail to establish because lack of
> codecs.  If you offer a both g729 and ulaw, then ulaw will be used.

That would only apply for new calls. Even new calls would still
typically accept g729 even if there are no licenses remaining as there
might not be transcoding required.
What I would expect to happen if there were no licenses is for you to
see an error on the console (possibly repeated multiple times) and for
there to be no audio. This is certainly what happens if you have a g729
call with no license and then try to play a sound file which does not
have a native g729 format.