[asterisk-users] G729 - what happens if licences used up?

Paul Belanger paul.belanger at polybeacon.com
Thu Feb 20 11:16:54 CST 2014

On Thu, Feb 20, 2014 at 10:40 AM, Tony Mountifield <tony at softins.co.uk> wrote:
> I haven't been able to find the answer online, and am not currently
> able to conduct an experiment to find the answer...
>
> I understand that in a SIP call where G729 has been negotiated as the
> preferred codec, a G.729 licence is not consumed until there is a need
> to perform transcoding, e.g. play a non-g729 sound, or do voicemail,
> or enter a Meetme, etc.
>
> What happens when a SIP call in progress needs a G.729 licence and
> they are all in use already? Does the call fail, or go silent, or do a
> re-INVITE to negotiate another codec?
>
> I'm interested in what happens on Asterisk 1.2 (for a legacy system),
> and also whether it is any different on later versions.

The question depends if you are offering up other codecs or not.  If
you only using g729, the call will fail to establish because lack of
codecs.  If you offer a both g729 and ulaw, then ulaw will be used.

--
Paul Belanger | PolyBeacon, Inc.
Jabber: paul.belanger at polybeacon.com | IRC: pabelanger (Freenode)