[asterisk-users] G729 - what happens if licences used up?

Tony Mountifield tony at softins.co.uk
Thu Feb 20 09:40:19 CST 2014

I haven't been able to find the answer online, and am not currently
able to conduct an experiment to find the answer...

I understand that in a SIP call where G729 has been negotiated as the
preferred codec, a G.729 licence is not consumed until there is a need
to perform transcoding, e.g. play a non-g729 sound, or do voicemail,
or enter a Meetme, etc.

What happens when a SIP call in progress needs a G.729 licence and
they are all in use already? Does the call fail, or go silent, or do a
re-INVITE to negotiate another codec?

I'm interested in what happens on Asterisk 1.2 (for a legacy system),
and also whether it is any different on later versions.

Thanks,
Tony
--
Tony Mountifield