[asterisk-users] Dahdi > CAPI migration

Toney Mareo halflife4 at gmx.com
Fri Aug 8 03:09:48 CDT 2014

Hello

Thank you for your response. I thought it could be easier moving the old card to the new machine and using the DAHDI driver. Unfortunately my first attempt for this failed. The card shows up in the original machine as:

>dahdi_hardware -v
pci:0000:00:00.0     wcb4xxp+     1397:08b4 Junghanns QuadBRI ISDN card

00:00.0 ISDN controller: Cologne Chip Designs GmbH ISDN network Controller [HFC-4S] (rev 01)
    Subsystem: Cologne Chip Designs GmbH HFC-4S [IOB4ST]
    Control: I/O+ Mem+ BusMaster- SpecCycle- MemWINV- VGASnoop- ParErr- Stepping- SERR- FastB2B-

The second machine recognized it as well and as I said the OS-es were clones (so all drivers, settings should be indentical), still after start the DAHDI driver loaded but didn't work from Asterisk:

Running dahdi_cfg:  DAHDI_SPANCONFIG failed on span 1: No such device or address (6)
No hardware timing source found in /proc/dahdi, loading dahdi_dummy

Any ideas how to proceed from this point?

Thanks

Sent: Thursday, August 07, 2014 at 12:55 PM
From: "Patrick Laimbock" <patrick at laimbock.com>
To: asterisk-users at lists.digium.com
Subject: Re: [asterisk-users] Dahdi > CAPI migration
Hi Toney,

Comments inline.

On 07-08-14 12:10, Toney Mareo wrote:
> Hello Folks,
> I looking to migrate a pbx from one server to another. The original server has this ISDN card:
>
> 00:00.0 ISDN controller: Cologne Chip Designs GmbH ISDN network Controller [HFC-4S] (rev 01)
>
> The new server:
> 00:00.0 I2O: Digital Equipment Corporation StrongARM DC21285 (rev 04) << AVM ISDN Controller C4
>

> Now I'm not fully aware of both's cards functions since the manuals are very brief. What I heard is that the later card does not support some NT commands what I might going to need at this migration. I can't really say if one card is "better" than the other one.
> Unfortunately the two uses completely different drivers. The first card uses dahdi, the second uses capi. I want this migration go as smooth as possible with the least downtime so I looking for some help
> maybe someone has more experience with these cards.

In the past I have used Eicon Diva Server cards with chan_capi for years
and they worked great. I

> I also read something about CAPI uses completely different dial plans.
> So all the Asterisk configurations are migrated from the old server to the new one.

That is correct although the differences/changes you need to make are
limited. Adjusting the Dial command will go a long way.

> By following this guide:
> http://www.asteriskguru.com/tutorials/avm_c4.html
>
> I have the C4 modul loaded. My asterisk box is Asterisk 1.6.0.26-FONCORE-r78 (Trixbox).

That Asterisk version is rather old and assuming that's the old Trixbox
CE it is without security updates since 2012. I recommend you use a
fresh install of something like CentOS 6.5 + all updates and Asterisk
11.11.0 (or later if available) with the latest dahdi-linux, dahdi-tools
and libpri releases. Also get the latest chan_capi from here:
ftp://ftp.chan-capi.org/chan-capi/ The version with -HEAD in the name
has the latest fixes and is the one I always used.

> How can I see that this C4 card is really working from asterisk?

Once you have the AVM C4 kernel module loaded and Asterisk with
chan_capi is installed and capi is enabled in the Asterisk config, start
Asterisk and then you should have a 'capi' command in the CLI. Executing
it should show you info about the status of your ISDN channels.

> What is the difference between the chan_dahdi.conf and chan_capi.conf?

One is for DAHDI supported cards and the other is for CAPI cards like
the Eicon Diva Server and the AVM C4.

> Can't I just tell it somewhere to use the new card and I don't have to touch the existing dialplans etc?

Nope.

HTH,
Patrick