[asterisk-users] Dahdi > CAPI migration

Patrick Laimbock patrick at laimbock.com
Fri Aug 8 08:34:44 CDT 2014

On 08-08-14 10:09, Toney Mareo wrote:
> Hello
>
> Thank you for your response. I thought it could be easier moving the old card to the new machine and using the DAHDI driver. Unfortunately my first attempt for this failed. The card shows up in the original machine as:
>
>> dahdi_hardware -v
> pci:0000:00:00.0     wcb4xxp+     1397:08b4 Junghanns QuadBRI ISDN card

IIRC the wcb4xx module is correct for this card.

> 00:00.0 ISDN controller: Cologne Chip Designs GmbH ISDN network Controller [HFC-4S] (rev 01)
>      Subsystem: Cologne Chip Designs GmbH HFC-4S [IOB4ST]
>      Control: I/O+ Mem+ BusMaster- SpecCycle- MemWINV- VGASnoop- ParErr- Stepping- SERR- FastB2B-
>
> The second machine recognized it as well and as I said the OS-es were clones (so all drivers, settings should be indentical), still after start the DAHDI driver loaded but didn't work from Asterisk:

What do you mean with "the OS-es were clones ..."? Did you create an
image of the old Trixbox machine and installed that on the new machine?

Which versions are you using of:
the OS?
dahdi-linux?
dahdi-tools?
libpri?
asterisk?

Are you using mISDN too?

> Running dahdi_cfg:  DAHDI_SPANCONFIG failed on span 1: No such device or address (6)
> No hardware timing source found in /proc/dahdi, loading dahdi_dummy

In general it could be that the card is not recognized or that there's a
conflict with another kernel module or your dahdi config is incorrect or
the udev rules are missing or wrong, etc.

> Any ideas how to proceed from this point?

Since you have provided not very much information one can only guess.
Only by providing as much information as possible can you help us help you.

So please answer all the questions, provide the versions as asked, give
the output of lsdahdi, check the logfiles (/var/log/messages etc) for
dahdi info, check the dahdi config and blacklist files and provide that
with anything else you can think of.

AFAIK the Junghanns QuadBRI ISDN card should work fine with a recent
DAHDI so why do you want to change to an AVM C4 card that requires
chan_capi that hasn't seen any recent development and does not support
Asterisk 11 or later? Asterisk 1.8 will only be supported for another
year and then you are stuck again with an obsolete system that no longer
gets any (security!) updates.

If you can, why not stay with the Junghanns card and put a fresh CentOS
6.5 + updates on the new machine together with the latest version of
dahdi-linux, dahdi-tools, libpri and asterisk. And then copy your old
dialplan over to the new machine and make the required changes so it
works with the latest Asterisk 11. Or you could install the latest
FreePBX iso on the new machine if you prefer a GUI.

HTH,
Patrick