[asterisk-users] Performance Asterisk large installation on Vmware/Xen

James Cloos cloos at jhcloos.com
Sat May 18 16:05:59 CDT 2013

>>>>> "RdSS" == Rafael dos Santos Saraiva <rafaelsnsa at gmail.com> writes:

RdSS> I would like the opinion of you and if anyone has a similar scenario. I
RdSS> have a project for installation of a Asterisk server in a client with about
RdSS> 400 extensions. My question is whether this scenario carry an Asterisk
RdSS> virtualized. Will be used only extensions and trunks sip sip, 1 queue with
RdSS> 2 agents, without call recording. It is best to use XEN or VMware? Which
RdSS> best version of Asterisk for this scenario?

I would use xen.  Be sure to allocate enough resources to the asterisk domU.

(In this case, the fact that the bare iron is partitioned by xen is no
different, from the point of view of asterisk's performance, than
running it on an unpartioned box along with other services.  The more
one squeezes onto a given box the more everything suffers.  But
partitioning the hardware with something like xen does not automatically
break stuff.  Were the box doing ISDN, on the other hand, routing the
pci card to the right partition can be an issue.  But for 100% sip it
should just work.)

-JimC