[asterisk-users] Performance Asterisk large installation on Vmware/Xen

Stelios Koroneos skoroneos at soldecom.com
Sat May 18 16:09:10 CDT 2013

On Sat, 2013-05-18 at 15:01 -0300, Rafael dos Santos Saraiva wrote:
> Hi
>

> I would like the opinion of you and if anyone has a similar scenario.
> I have a project for installation of a Asterisk server in a client
> with about 400 extensions. My question is whether this scenario carry
> an Asterisk virtualized. Will be used only extensions and trunks sip
> sip, 1 queue with 2 agents, without call recording. It is best to use
> XEN or VMware? Which best version of Asterisk for this scenario?

If there is no transcoding it could work assuming that this is not a
call center where all extensions would pretty much be "up and running"
all the time.
i.e this is a setup for a large office installation.
Assuming a recent XEON cpu and adequate RAM, main stumbling block is
usually network performance so you need a machine with good ethernet
chipset and linux driver.
Also you will need to twick the dahdi timing source or strange things
could start happening
I've used KVM and XEN but presonaly i feel much more "comfortable" with
KVM
As for asterisk version i would recommend 1.8 which is LTS at this
point.

Stelios