[asterisk-users] Upgrade from 1.0.x to AsteriskNOW 3.0

Kevin Larsen kevin.larsen at pioneerballoon.com
Tue May 14 08:31:57 CDT 2013

I can't comment on an Asterisk to Asterisk migration, but I have done a
migration from a different pbx to Asterisk where no downtime was allowed.
What we did was put the new instance (Asterisk) as the primary call
handler with a rule that said anythnig that isn't a match gets sent over
to the secondary PBX (in your case it would be the Asterisk 1.0.x
instance). Then you will also have to make corresponding changes on the
original PBX to send the appropriate calls/extensions back to the new
Asterisk instance. In our case, we started with Asterisk as a voicemail
box, then moved one department at a time over so we could do testing to
make sure it was working. By the end, we were down to all the extensions
that didn't have any kind of special handling on them and we moved those
over as we had time/money for new phones.

Planning, having test extensions and moving slowly at the start are your
friend. Once you understand all the ins and outs of the migration, you can
start moving to the new instance on a faster pace. It is possible to do it
with virtually no downtime.

Kevin Larsen - Systems Analyst - Pioneer Balloon - Ph: 316-688-8208