[asterisk-users] Upgrade from 1.0.x to AsteriskNOW 3.0

Andre Goree andre at drenet.net
Tue May 14 08:16:37 CDT 2013

On 2013-05-14 3:50 am, Dennis Dryden wrote:
> AsteriskNOW 1 and 2 are both based on Centos 5 and I think the new
> AsteriskNOW 3 is based on Centos 6 so upgrades are not supported by
> the Linux OS distribution[1]. It's best to backup and reinstall with
> the new version. It's a shame AsteriskNOW is not based on Debian so it
> could be dist-upgraded between versions.
>
> Cheers,
> Dennis
>
> [1] http://wiki.centos.org/HowTos/MigrationGuide/MigratingFiveToSix [6]

Thanks for the reply!  Keep in mind, I'm wanting to go from vanilla
Asterisk 1.0.x to AsteriskNOW 3 -- or Asterisk 11 + FreePBX.  This will
be on all new hardware -- which I guess actually answers my question
regarding the feasibility of an in-place upgrade.  From what I can tell,
my only choice will be to rebuild the configuration that is currently in
the 1.0.x install using AsteriskNOW/Asterisk+FreePBX.  Probably won't be
fun :/

Any insight on failover solutions?

> On Mon, May 13, 2013 at 10:27 PM, Andre Goree <andre at drenet.net> wrote:
>
> Hello all.  I was hoping someone out there might have some advice or
> suggestions regarding an upgrade from an archaic Asterisk version.
>
> I've been given the daunting task of upgrading a very old
> Asterisk-1.0.x install to a recent LTS version.  I'll also need the
> install to have high-availability and failover support.
>
> From my research, it would appear that AsteriskNOW-3.0 might be my best
> bet, as it seems to be running Asterisk-11.  I've previously installed
> Asterisk-11+FreePBX in a VM, and this appears to be very similar.  Is
> there any upside to using AsteriskNOW vs. Asterisk+FreePBX? Other than
> the obvious fact that everything is nicely placed on an iso for ease of
> installation?
>
> As for the actual upgrade, is it possible to step through each of the
> UPGRADE*.txt files under the Asterisk-11 source?  I.e, UPGRADE-1.2.txt
> -> UPGRADE-1.4.txt -> UPGRADE-1.6.txt -> UPGRADE-1.8.txt ->
> UPGRADE.txt? Or would it be prudent to recreate my current 1.0.x
> configuration under Asterisk-11 instead?
>
> Regarding HA/failover, is a hardware solution (such as Digium's
> R800/R850) my only option?  During my research I've found scripts on
> the internet that allow for failover using arp/nmap, however those
> appear to only work for hardware failures.  I would need something that
> can account for both hardware and software failures.
>
> Thanks in advance for any advice that anyone can give on the subject.
>  Any suggestions, etc. would help immensely!
>
> --
> Andre Goree
> -=-=-=-=-=-
> Email     - andre at drenet.net