[asterisk-users] Asterisk 1.8 and dual stack support

Jaap Winius jwinius at umrk.nl
Thu Mar 21 21:26:50 CDT 2013

On Thu, 21 Mar 2013 16:02:17 -0700, Michael L. Young wrote:

> Let me try to understand this.  With bindaddr set as "bindaddr=::", upon
> starting Asterisk, you are fine and all your IPv4 peers connect
> properly. Therefore, dual stack is working at this point. ...

You minunderstand. When I start Asterisk with "bindaddr=::", the netstat
output shows that it's using udp6, which usually means that the service
is running in dual stack mode, but this is apparently not the case. On my
system, it really is only listening on IPv6. That's why I said that,
despite appearances, as soon as I reload SIP (or restart Asterisk) with
this setting, I lose contact with my entire list of IPv4-only peers,
while Asterisk gives warnings about the network being unreachable (the
IPv4 network).

I've also tried using multiple bindaddr lines with a mix of IPv4 and IPv6
addresses, but then the service ends up binding only to the last address.
Therefore, it looks to me like the version of Asterisk that I'm running
is only capable of running in single stack mode, supporting either IPv4
or IPv6, but not both at the same time.

> Upon issuing a "sip reload", your peers lose their ability
> to communicate with Asterisk? Is that correct?

That's right.

> What does "netstat -lpn |grep 5060" show after the reload?

  udp6     0   0 :::5060           :::*         9898/asterisk