[asterisk-users] Asterisk 1.8 and dual stack support

Jakob Hirsch jh at plonk.de
Fri Mar 22 04:07:57 CDT 2013

Jaap Winius, 21.03.2013 17:47:
> support IPv6. However, it seems that I can't get it to support both IPv4
> and IPv6 at the same time. For example, if in sip.conf I set the bindaddr
> variable to '::' it will only listen on IPv6 and none of my IPv4-only
> friends and peers will be able to connect to it. On the other hand, if I
> set it to '0.0.0.0' then it will not listen on IPv6.

This is well explained here: http://serverfault.com/a/39561

In short: In Linux, binding to :: means bind to both ipv6 and ipv4.
Setting /proc/sys/net/ipv6/bindv6only to 1 changes this behaviour, and
Debian has this by default (since squeeze, AFAIK).

So this is a system issue, not an Asterisk. At least unless one
considers Asterisk's shortcoming of not being able to use more than one
socket an issue.