[asterisk-users] How to implement "priority queuing" within a single queue ?

Olivier oza_4h07 at yahoo.fr
Fri Jan 25 10:22:15 CST 2013

Hi,

Let say that in a call center, callers are recognized and categorized in 4
priority levels (priority 1 for Very Very Important Personalities, 2 for
VIP, and so on)  before entering a Queue.
How can you make sure a priority 2 caller is answered before priority 3
callers, for instance ?

I can think of several solutions but none really pleases me :

1. Have 4 different queues, set penalty value and let each caller enter one
queue depending on its own priority.
I don't like this solution because I foresee editing stats for 4 queues
instead of one is harder.

2. Iterate over each call waiting in the queue and insert new call with
Queue's position argument accordingly valued.
I don't like this one because I'm afraid coding this won't be so easy.

What would you suggest ?

Regards