[asterisk-users] Verizon SIP "trunking" Field Trial

Matthew J. Roth mroth at imminc.com
Fri Jan 4 13:24:00 CST 2013

> Carlos Alvarez wrote:
>
> Sounds like the same huge effort it takes to work with Qwest/
> Centurylink, and in the long run we found it simply isn't worth it.
> The few benefits of working with an RBOC are countered by the many
> drawbacks of working with an RBOC.
>
> Also we recently acquired a half million minutes/mo from a company who
> was tired of dealing with Qwest SIP.  They said the same thing I said
> above.
>
> I suppose the point of what I'm saying is you should really think
> about what you think you will gain from a relationship with them, and
> whether all this is worth it ("all this" means now and how their
> attitude will affect you forever).
>

>> Eric Wieling wrote:
>>
>> Trust me, Verizon doesn't really provide support.    What they will
>> do is tell you something different (often conflicting stuff) when you
>> send in a ticket.    One time they tell us the From must be in e.164
>> format, other times they say it does not.    We asked for an updated
>> Interop guide weeks ago and they have not provided us anything.  We
>> have been with VZ SIP for years so I wanted an updated interop guide
>> so we can point them to it when they tell us something which
>> conflicts with their docs.  Don't get me started on trying to upgrade
>> our service with them..

Michael,

At least Verizon maintains a consistent customer experience.  ; )

Overall, we've found the service to be reliable and stable, but when
there are problems or changes needed you're dealing with Verizon and the
w...h...e...e...l...s......t...u...r...n......s...l...o...w...l...y.

It's a trade-off of dealing with such a huge company and I don't have
experience with any other SIP trunk providers to compare it to, so give
proper consideration to the opinions of the other members of this list.

Just know that as you weigh your options, Verizon will work in the end
but this whole field trial process is your preview of all future
dealings with them.  It can make you question your sanity but so far
everything you've said has been spot-on.

Regards,

Matthew Roth
InterMedia Marketing Solutions
Software Engineer and Systems Developer