[asterisk-users] Maximum number of users

Thu Dec 19 03:27:14 CST 2013

Thats fine for calculating how many users a particular speed network
connection can cope with. 640 concurrent calls on a 100Mbps connection
is doable on a decent machine as long as you are not doing much codec
translation.

Once you get to the point where you start having hundreds of users then
you really need to think about redundancy. OpenSIPS is a good way
forward as it is very light weight and can easily handle tens of
thousands of registered phones. As calls come in then it can forward
them directly or if additional services are required such as possibly
voicemail it can pass them onto one or more asterisk servers in a load
balancing arrangement. Using a couple of database servers replicating to
each other and a virtual IP address (or DNS SRV if the clients properly
support it) will give you redundancy and allow you to add more server to
expand the capacity.