[asterisk-users] Maximum number of users

Brian LaVallee b.lavallee at globaltank.jp
Wed Dec 18 23:19:47 CST 2013

Hi Bilal,

Assuming you have the latest hardware, sufficient memory, cpu, etc...
The key to determine the maximum number of users comes down to the
office type, RTP path, network interface, and primary codec used.

First we need to determine the over-subscription rate, how many people
will be using the phones at any given time.

For a call center, the ratio is 1:1.
For a normal office, the industry standard is 4:1.
{This ratio is also used to determine the number of PSTN channels you
will need too}

Will the PSTN connections be Digium card(s) in your server or external
gateway(s)?
Assuming Diguim card(s), the RTP will be going through your server.

Determine the network interface.  10/100/1000baseT
Then we need to consider the largest codec used, and divide the
available bandwidth by the typical packet size.

µ-law/A-law is roughly 80 kbps, so we can support 128/1280/13107 audio
streams.
Divide that by 2 (just to be safe) and allow RTP in both directions.
64/640/6553

Now multiple the result by the over-subscription ratio.  4:1 =
256/2560/26212

So we see that the maximum number of users is 2560 for a normal office
when there is a 100baseT NIC in your Asterisk server.
You would also need to have 640 channels (28 T1 PRI's) connecting to the
PSTN.
/Using SIP trunks to connect to the PSTN through the same 100baseT NIC
will reduce the maximum number of users you can support./

The real challenge is not supporting thousands of users (IP Phones),
it's connecting a sufficient number of PSTN connections to support those
users.

Sincerely,
Brian LaVallee