[asterisk-users] Maximum number of users

Ryan Wagoner rswagoner at gmail.com
Thu Dec 19 09:01:09 CST 2013

On Wed, Dec 18, 2013 at 9:45 AM, bilal ghayyad <bilmar_gh at yahoo.com> wrote:

> Hello;
>
> Can someone advise me what is the maximum number of users (IP Phones) that
> can be supported by asterisk 1.8 or later?
>
> Regards
> Bilal

The number of devices and concurrent calls is dependent on many factors.
Dialplan complexity, new call rate, features enabled, and transcoding all
play a factor in these numbers.

To give you an example I have a Dell R710 with two quad core E5520
processors running Asterisk 1.8 and FreePBX 2.11. I have around 1,000 SIP
device registrations, 50-80 concurrent calls for the majority of the day,
and a total of 8-10k calls processed per day. A few times a week I will see
the last minute load at 20 and the 5 min load at 7. This seem to happen
when there are a high volume of new calls as the FreePBX dialplan is
complex.

Ryan