[asterisk-users] Who causes the congestion or can I mix?

Richard Mudgett rmudgett at digium.com
Tue Dec 17 13:41:01 CST 2013

On Tue, Dec 17, 2013 at 12:19 PM, jg <webaccounts at jgoettgens.de> wrote:

> Is there a recommended way to find out the cause of DIALSTATUS =
> CONGESTION for PRI/BRI channels? Currently I am evaluating the DIALSTATUS
> variable and I also count the active ISDN channels for the ISDN trunk in
> question. Counting the active ISDN channels seems somewhat clumsy as the
> mapping to a specific trunk must be done by hand (or write even more code).

Look at the HANGUPCAUSE function.  A congestion cause does not necessarily
mean that the congestion is in the link between you and the network.  It
could be from any link between you and the destination.

> I have a setup where outgoing calls normally use a P2P trunk, but if there
> are no free channels the system tries a separate P2MP trunk. In case the
> congestion is caused by the called party, switching to another trunks does
> not make any sense, so I need to find out whether my side is causing the
> CONGESTION.
>
> Has somebody tried to setup a dialgroup where P2P, P2MP, and POTS devices
> are all part of the same group? This would also solve my problem.
>
> In chan_dahdi.conf there would be something like
>
> context=from-pstn-p2p
> group=2
> signalling=bri_cpe
> channel =>1-2
>
> context=from-pstn-p2p
> group=2
> signalling=bri_cpe
> channel =>4-5
>
> context=from-pstn-p2p
> group=2
> signalling=bri_cpe
> channel =>7-8
>
> context=from-pstn-p2mp
> group=2
> signalling=bri_cpe_ptmp
> channel =>10-11
>
> which mixes 2 P2P (4 voice channels) and 1 P2MP (2 voice channels). There
> would be different contexts for incoming calls, but DIAL(DAHDI/g2/...)
> could pick any of the 6 channels for outside calls.
>
> This looks odd, but I don't see any reason why it should not work or
> whether I might get in trouble with the telco, or crash Asterisk.

This kind of grouping does work for the initial channel selection.
However, glare from an incoming call wanting the same channel could still
get you a congestion status even though another span has channels
available.  Be aware that chan_dahdi sorts the group by channel number so
the g2 channel search will always start with the lowest channel number.

Richard