[asterisk-users] Who causes the congestion or can I mix?

jg webaccounts at jgoettgens.de
Tue Dec 17 12:19:11 CST 2013

Is there a recommended way to find out the cause of DIALSTATUS = CONGESTION for PRI/BRI
channels? Currently I am evaluating the DIALSTATUS variable and I also count the active ISDN
channels for the ISDN trunk in question. Counting the active ISDN channels seems somewhat clumsy
as the mapping to a specific trunk must be done by hand (or write even more code).

I have a setup where outgoing calls normally use a P2P trunk, but if there are no free channels
the system tries a separate P2MP trunk. In case the congestion is caused by the called party,
switching to another trunks does not make any sense, so I need to find out whether my side is
causing the CONGESTION.

Has somebody tried to setup a dialgroup where P2P, P2MP, and POTS devices are all part of the
same group? This would also solve my problem.

In chan_dahdi.conf there would be something like

context=from-pstn-p2p
group=2
signalling=bri_cpe
channel =>1-2

context=from-pstn-p2p
group=2
signalling=bri_cpe
channel =>4-5

context=from-pstn-p2p
group=2
signalling=bri_cpe
channel =>7-8

context=from-pstn-p2mp
group=2
signalling=bri_cpe_ptmp
channel =>10-11

which mixes 2 P2P (4 voice channels) and 1 P2MP (2 voice channels). There would be different
contexts for incoming calls, but DIAL(DAHDI/g2/...) could pick any of the 6 channels for outside
calls.

This looks odd, but I don't see any reason why it should not work or whether I might get in
trouble with the telco, or crash Asterisk.

jg