[asterisk-users] [OT] Does Energy Savings mode exist with BRI/PtP ?

Olivier oza.4h07 at gmail.com
Wed Dec 11 14:54:15 CST 2013

2013/12/11 jg <webaccounts at jgoettgens.de>

>> At the moment, I'm having trouble with lines going up and down all day
>> long.
>> I asked them to be created as P2P.
>> Mostly but not always calls are passing in and out correctly.
>>
> I doubt that the energy-saving is causing the trouble. How do you get the
> ISDN-signal? Is it an S0-bus?

I'm not 100% sure I'm correctly understanding these latter two questions.

Anyway, refering to
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Integrated_Services_Digital_Network / Basic
rate Interface paragraph, my setup includes :
- a single network termination unit, installed and managed by telco, is
connected to public network through 2 twisted pairs,
- this unit includes two small electronic cards,
- each card has two RJ45 sockets,
- each card is connected through a single Cat5 straight, 1m long patch cord
to a single BRI port from my Patton box,
- both Patton's BRI ports are managed as a "hunt group" (for outbound
calls),
- for inbound, I didn't checked but usually, Telco sends one call on one
interface, the next one and the next interface.

So to summarize, (I think):
- I'm getting ISDN signal from two distinct copper pairs,
- it is not an S0-bus.

> If yes, I may be able to be of further help. Even if the connection goes
> down, it should not matter for P2MP connections.

You mean: layer1 is down but layer3 remains up ?
I'm seeing layer3 going down for 4 or 5 seconds, then up again. This
happens for both interfaces.

> But S0-bus problems can be nasty (though seen rarely these days).
>

>> So, if I'm not mistaken, either :
>> - these lines are configured as P2MP (and not as P2P as required),
>> - I'm facing something else I've never met before.
>>
> I would bet on the 2nd choice.

>From memory, with a misconfiguration between P2P and P2MP, you get no call
at all which is not the case.

>> As these lines are up most of the time, I'm having a hard time to get any
>> useful help by Telco beside "level 1" basic checks.
>>
>> For the record, these lines are terminated on my side with a Patton
>> smartnode (most of the time, I use Digium BRI boards).
>> During off hours, I'll try to check what happens when toggling to P2MP
>> mode.
>>
> I doubt that you do get anything useful if you pick the wrong mode.
>
> Are you sure that your are not dealing with termination issues?

Try sending a T.30 fax with fine resolution and ecm enabled when your
> connection is up. If it takes too long or fails, this is something to look
> at.

Can you elaborate a bit ?
I'm using an old Asterisk 1.6.1 version there so I can't rely on T.38/T.30
gateway feature at the moment.