[asterisk-users] External call control for Asterisk

Steve Edwards asterisk.org at sedwards.com
Tue Apr 9 22:32:05 CDT 2013

On Wed, 10 Apr 2013, Simon Green wrote:

> Hi there, I’m new to Asterisk and there’s a ton of documentation. I’m
> not really sure where to start. What I want to do is this: a PBX service
> ala FreePBX, but where call control is passed via SIP to an external
> service which will tell Asterisk:
>
> a)      * Whether the call is allowed
>
> b)      * Where to connect the call, if necessary (i.e. forced
> redirection to a C-party)
>
> c)       * To disconnect the call at some time in future based on
> charging considerations (i.e. online charging)

It depends...

You could probably do all of this just using dialplan logic and Asterisk's
internal database.

If you are looking to build a system that will scale, you'll want to store
your call processing parameters in a database like MySQL and access the
parameters using an AGI (an external program written in any language
you are comfortable with) and then write a dialplan to follow your
business logic.

While the dialplan language does include methods to access databases, I
find it cumbersome, limited, and ugly. I like to keep all the nasty
details in a little black box and keep my dialplan clean and maintainable.

--
Thanks in advance,