[asterisk-users] Case-sensitivity of Dialplan variables.

A J Stiles asterisk_list at earthshod.co.uk
Wed Oct 3 03:39:39 CDT 2012

On Monday 01 October 2012, Danny Nicholas wrote:
> I propose that dialplan variables need to be made consistent in their
> evaluation. We need to choose either to be always case-sensitive or always
> case-insensitive. The problem is, I don't know which of these changes would
> have a larger effect on people. This is where I would like your feedback.
> Which way should it go?

Case-sensitive always is the better option.  It's just more intuitive.  Most
other things in Unix-like environments are case-sensitive, so you come to
expect it.

More things are likely to be broken by going case-insensitive.  If someone,
somewhere is relying on STUFF, Stuff and stuff being distinct, then they
probably have a very good reason for doing so.

Besides, if we start accommodating that sort of sloppiness, where will it lead
next?  Will we stop distinguishing between I, 1 and L, or 0 and O because they
look similar?  How about letters which are next to one another on the
keyboard?  Perhaps, bearing in mind the imperfect rollover action on many
keyboards, we should treat "stuff" and "sutff" the same?</hysterics>

--
AJS

Answers come *after* questions.