[asterisk-users] Case-sensitivity of Dialplan variables.

Hans Witvliet asterisk at a-domani.nl
Wed Oct 3 02:06:33 CDT 2012

On Tue, 2012-10-02 at 17:11 -0700, Ira wrote:
> At 02:19 PM 10/1/2012, you wrote:
> >So respond here and let me know what you think. I got a couple of replies on
> >the -dev list and they said that this would be good to put out on the -users
> >list too.
> >
> >Mark Michelson
> >
> >In true Republican fashion, I'm going to vote for case-insensitivity.
>
> Given that many of the users were not programmers and didn't likely
> grow up in a case sensitive world I'd also vote for case
> insensitivity. I fall into that category, I grew up with dBase,
> Clipper and VB and case issues get me all the time when I program in C.

I would vote for case-sensitivity.

True, i grew up in the early day's of PDP11, flex, uniflex and so-on,
where case-sensitivity was default.

I think it is a bad habit to write something else, from what you expect.

More important is, that you get a un-avoidable error, when you try to
read a variable, that isn't initialised (due to mixed case).
Like in the old fortran/pascal/C days, where you just get a compilation
error, that you had to solve before you could continue....

There is already too much insensitivity in this world,
let's get rid of (at least) case insensitivity!

hans