[asterisk-users] Outgoing Google Motif Calls connect but continue ringing on outgoing side

Joshua Colp jcolp at digium.com
Fri Nov 2 13:18:51 CDT 2012

Roy Abshire wrote:
> I upgraded from Asterisk 10 to 11 and switched from gtalk.conf and
> jabber.conf to use motif.conf and xmpp.conf.
>
> I disabled gtalk and jabber from loading in modules.conf
> noload => res_jabber.so
> noload => chan_gtalk.so
>
> After copying my settings to the new conf files and restarting Asterisk
> I had no errors, but making outgoing calls from clients just kept
> ringing even though the other side picks up and hears nothing.

Did you follow the guide at
https://wiki.asterisk.org/wiki/display/AST/Calling+using+Google or just
move the configuration files over and tweak them?

> I played with my settings for days and have no idea what I changed that
> got it working so I'm hoping someone can tell me what caused this and
> maybe what I changed that fixed it.
>
> Now it works but I don't know why so I'd like some feedback.

So, you changed lots of settings and then it started working or did you
give up after a failed call, come back, and it started working?

If it started working without any changes in between it could have been
a temporary problem with the Google Voice gateway you were being
connected to. I've seen this a few times during testing.

> My Asterisk Server is NOT behind a NAT but my Clients are and I'm using
> Google Voice for incoming and outgoing calls.
>
> Here is what I have done.
>
> I completely removed my [general] section from motif.conf and added a
> [default](!) and transport=google-v1 like the example states. The
> [general] section was needed in gtalk.conf to get it working but seems
> to not be of any use now.

<snip>

> Can someone tell me if these settings are correct? I have no idea but it
> works now.

Your settings seem fine.

> I also made sure port 5060 and 5222 was open in iptables
>
> I also had to change rtp.conf to add icesupport=yes. I use my own rtp
> port range that is opened on the firewall.

Yes, this is indeed a requirement.

Cheers,

--
Joshua Colp