[asterisk-users] Outgoing Google Motif Calls connect but continue ringing on outgoing side

Roy Abshire roy at coopvr.com
Fri Nov 2 13:05:33 CDT 2012

I upgraded from Asterisk 10 to 11 and switched from gtalk.conf and
jabber.conf to use motif.conf and xmpp.conf.

I disabled gtalk and jabber from loading in modules.conf
noload => res_jabber.so
noload => chan_gtalk.so

After copying my settings to the new conf files and restarting Asterisk
I had no errors, but making outgoing calls from clients just kept
ringing even though the other side picks up and hears nothing.

I played with my settings for days and have no idea what I changed that
got it working so I'm hoping someone can tell me what caused this and
maybe what I changed that fixed it.

Now it works but I don't know why so I'd like some feedback.

My Asterisk Server is NOT behind a NAT but my Clients are and I'm using
Google Voice for incoming and outgoing calls.

Here is what I have done.

I completely removed my [general] section from motif.conf and added a
[default](!) and transport=google-v1 like the example states.  The
[general] section was needed in gtalk.conf to get it working but seems
to not be of any use now.

[general]
;context=incoming                ;;Context to dump call into
;bindaddr=0.0.0.0               ;;Address to bind to
;bindaddr=76.12.113.228
;externip=76.12.113.228
;disallow=all
;allow=ulaw
;allowguest=yes                  ;;Allow calls from people not in peer list

[default](!)
disallow=all
allow=alaw
allow=ulaw
allow=h264
transport=google-v1 ;Using google or google-v1 didn't make a difference
context=incoming

[asterisk](default)
connection=asterisk

I removed the /Talk suffix from my xmpp.conf username fields and changed
timeout=5. It took me a while to notice the /Talk was not needed anymore.
[asterisk]
type=client                             ;;Client or Component connection
serverhost=talk.google.com              ;;Route to server for example,
talk.google.com
username=asterisk at gmail.com    ;;Username with optional resource.
secret=secret                         ;;Password
priority=1                             ;;Resource priority
port=5222                               ;;Port to use defaults to 5222
usetls=yes                              ;;Use tls or not
usesasl=yes                             ;;Use sasl or not
status=available                        ;;One of: chat, available, away,
xaway, or dnd
statusmessage="Asterisk Server"         ;;Have custom status message for
Asterisk.
timeout=5

I changed my sip settings for my google clients to:
[asterisk]
host=dynamic
type=friend
nat=force_rport,comedia
canrevinvite=no
qualify=yes
dtmfmode=rfc2833
context=home
disallow=all
allow=ulaw;h263

Can someone tell me if these settings are correct?  I have no idea but
it works now.

I also made sure port 5060 and 5222 was open in iptables

I also had to change rtp.conf to add icesupport=yes. I use my own rtp
port range that is opened on the firewall.

[general]
icesupport=yes
rtpstart=15000
rtpend=20000
;rtpchecksums=no
;dtmftimeout=3000
;rtcpinterval = 5000 ; Milliseconds between rtcp reports
; strictrtp=yes

I also had to add icesupport=no in sip.conf[general]section to stop
"failed to extend" errors happening for SIP calls.

--
Co-op Vacation Rentals
www.coopvr.com