[asterisk-users] twenty thousands (20, 000) users, which asterisk and how many servers?

Leandro Dardini ldardini at gmail.com
Wed May 23 07:37:47 CDT 2012

20.000 users is really a big number, as big as 2000 concurrent calls.
As previously stated on this list, it depends... it depends by the type of
calls for example. If all media is offloaded from the server letting the
phones to reinvite each other, than your server CAN support the call
volume. If instead even a tiny portion of the call volume uses service on
the pbx, like IVR, music on hold, conferences, queues or even worst,
transcoding, then the server is obviously underpowered. From my point of
view, servicing 20.000 users with a single piece of hardware is highly
risky. It can broke in the middle of the day, leaving all your users
without service. I think a better approach will be to have more less
powered servers working all together to serving your users. If a day one or
two of them broke, you have not to worry because the other will continue to
serve your users and nobody notice the little decrease in power.
There are a lots of way to achieve the high availability, load sharing,
each with its pros and cons.
Right now I am building a pbx with high availability and load sharing in
mind, for a client who wants to achieve numbers you have just said. Let's
see how it works in few months.

Leandro