[asterisk-users] twenty thousands (20, 000) users, which asterisk and how many servers?

Kevin P. Fleming kpfleming at digium.com
Wed May 23 15:25:29 CDT 2012

On 05/23/2012 07:16 AM, bilal ghayyad wrote:
> Hi All;
>
> I need to use Asterisk for 20 000 users, so which asterisk version to be used? Is there asterisk version that supports 20,000 users on one hardware machine?
>
> Can I use one strong hardware server i7 with 64 GB RAM and fast hard desk to handle 20 000 users, and concurrent calls 2000? Or I need multiple servers, how much?
>
> If I am going to use multiple servers (until now I do not know how much, and I do not know if the barrier will be the asterisk software or the hardware), then do I have to use special SIP proxy or I have to use load balancer)? In this case, I have to use asterisk Database (so all the servers will read/write from the database)?
>
> What about AsteriskNow, can it support?

AsteriskNOW is a GUI on top of Asterisk; it does not change the ability
of the system to handle call load.

Modern versions of Asterisk can easily handle 2,000 simultaneous calls,
even with media (non-transcoded) passing through the server. We have a
community member who has improved chan_sip in Asterisk 10 (and later) to
be able to handle 10,000 simultaneous calls.

Handling 20,000 registrations is probably more of a concern for Asterisk
at this point; I've never heard of anyone attempting to handle that many
on one system.

In spite of all this, though, the other advice you've received in this
thread is sound: even if a single system can handle the load, doing so
is asking for a major problem if that system experiences a failure.
You'd be much better off to at least split the load across two machines,
both of which should be large enough to handle the entire load when
necessary.

--
Kevin P. Fleming