[asterisk-users] allowguest = yes? no?

Kevin P. Fleming kpfleming at digium.com
Tue Jan 24 09:26:26 CST 2012

On 01/24/2012 09:03 AM, Gilles wrote:
> On Tue, 24 Jan 2012 09:55:12 -0500, Jim DeVito
> <asterisk-users-mailing-list at devito.cc>  wrote:
>> What they are talking about is SIP URI dialling. Let say you have
>> extension 1000 the rings a phone on your system. With allowguest=yes I
>> would be allowed to dial SIP:/1000 at yourdomain.com and assuming the
>> context defined in your [General] section had access to exten 1000 I
>> would connect to that phone. With alloweguest=no my call would be rejected.
>
> Thanks for the clarification.
>
> Provided I do want strangers to call extensions through an SIP URI
> instead of using the PSTN, how can I raise security by requiring that
> they authenticate?

By definition this is impossible. If the caller is a 'stranger', that
means you have no knowledge of them prior to their INVITE request
arriving at your server. If you have no knowledge of them, then you
don't have any 'shared secret', and thus they cannot authenticate to
your server.

--
Kevin P. Fleming