[asterisk-users] allowguest = yes? no?

Gilles codecomplete at free.fr
Tue Jan 24 09:03:04 CST 2012

On Tue, 24 Jan 2012 09:55:12 -0500, Jim DeVito
<asterisk-users-mailing-list at devito.cc> wrote:
>What they are talking about is SIP URI dialling. Let say you have
>extension 1000 the rings a phone on your system. With allowguest=yes I
>would be allowed to dial SIP:/1000 at yourdomain.com and assuming the
>context defined in your [General] section had access to exten 1000 I
>would connect to that phone. With alloweguest=no my call would be rejected.

Thanks for the clarification.

Provided I do want strangers to call extensions through an SIP URI
instead of using the PSTN, how can I raise security by requiring that
they authenticate?

Of do you mean that the choice is between
- don't allow SIP URI at all (allowguest=no), so strangers can reach
extensions only through the PSTN (but it's a waste of money)
- allow SIP URI (allowguess=yes) and make sure the context doesn't
allow making calls to the PSTN?