[asterisk-users] Real trunk group w/ DAHDI

Louis Carreiro carreirolt at gmail.com
Sun Jan 15 20:14:22 CST 2012

Hey all!

I've been banging my head against the wall for a while (almost 18 hours
today alone) with this one... I migrated our incomming T1's from the Option
11 to our Asterisk box this morning. We have 1 local T1 and 2 long distance
T1's. The local T1 went over with out a hitch. The problem is with my 2
long distance T1's. The switch on the other end is a DMS250 I'm told so I
set Asterisk to DMS100 and got the timing, framing, etc all set. Well, the
D channels came up so thats good. I started getting dropped calls every
once in a while. I did a debug on the spans and saw the following:

PRI Span: 3
PRI Span: 3 < Protocol Discriminator: Q.931 (8)  len=40
PRI Span: 3 < TEI=0 Call Ref: len= 2 (reference 857/0x359) (Sent from
originator)
PRI Span: 3 < Message Type: SETUP (5)
PRI Span: 3 < [04 03 80 90 a2]
PRI Span: 3 < Bearer Capability (len= 5) [ Ext: 1  Q.931 Std: 0  Info
transfer capability: Speech (0)
PRI Span: 3 <                              Ext: 1  Trans mode/rate: 64kbps,
circuit-mode (16)
PRI Span: 3 <                                User information layer 1:
u-Law (34)
PRI Span: 3 < [18 04 e9 80 83 08]
PRI Span: 3 < Channel ID (len= 6) [ Ext: 1  IntID: Explicit  Other(PRI)
Spare: 0  Exclusive  Dchan: 0
PRI Span: 3 <                       ChanSel: As indicated in following
octets
*PRI Span: 3 <                       Ext: 1  DS1 Identifier: 0
*PRI Span: 3 <                       Ext: 1  Coding: 0  Number Specified
Channel Type: 3
PRI Span: 3 <                       Ext: 0  Channel: 8 Type: CPE]
PRI Span: 3 < [20 02 00 e2]
PRI Span: 3 < Network-Specific Facilities (len= 2) [ Toll Free MEGACOM ]
PRI Span: 3 < [6c 0c 21 83 37 32 37 34 30 33 34 30 37 34]
PRI Span: 3 < Calling Number (len=14) [ Ext: 0  TON: National Number (2)
NPI: ISDN/Telephony Numbering Plan (E.164/E.163) (1)

The key part is the "*Ext: 1  DS1 Identifier: 0*" part. That's when calls
fail. Right now, all calls are coming in on span 3 and want to talk to
Identifier 0 (span 2). If a call comes in on span 2 and requests "*Ext: 1
DS1 Identifier: 1*", it fails. I called Verizon and asked them what was
going on. Turns out, its configured as a trunk group. The tech mentioned
that I need to figure out how to set my identifiers on the group and I
should be good to go. I've done a ton of research about chan_dahdi.conf and
dahdi-channels.conf and I think the answer is trunk groups.

I tried configuring a trunkgroup and set the primary dch to 24 and the bdch
to 72 and then then spanmap'ed span 2 and 3 into group 1 (e.g. 2,1,0 and
3,1,1) but I don't see anything when I do a "dahdi show channels" or a "pri
show spans" or a "pri show channels", not even the channels not in the
group. If I delete the trunkgroup, all three commands return all the
channels.

I'm just curious if I'm going down the right path with trunkgroups for this
or if there is something else to take care of the DS1 Identifier issue.

Thanks in advance everyone!

v/r,
Me