[asterisk-users] Asterisk won't start - trap invalid opcode

James Cloos cloos at jhcloos.com
Wed Jan 4 17:21:49 CST 2012

DT> I have a new install of asterisk 1.8.8.1 on ubuntu server
DT> 3.0.0-14-server #23-Ubuntu SMP Mon Nov 21 20:49:05 UTC 2011 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

DT> The only errors I can see are limited - I also stopped wan router and dahdi and I still get
DT> ~# asterisk -cvvvvvvvvvv
DT> Illegal instruction

What does /proc/cpuinfo say?  (Just the first chunk is enough.)

Try running asterisk is gdb:

    :; gdb asterisk

    (gdb) run -cvvvvvvvvvvddd

When it dies, try:

    (gdb) bt full

    (gdb) disasemble /m

You may also want to recompile asterisk after turing on:

    DONT_OPTIMIZE
    DEBUG_THREADS
    BETTER_BACKTRACES

in the Compiler Flags section of make menuselect.

The gdb output if you do that may be more comprehensible.

Either way run gdb from the asterisk src directory.

When you find the point where it crashed, you can discover what the
illegal instruction is.

I suspect your compile may expect a more recent cpu than you have, and
may use sse instructions which it doesn't support.  A disassembly around
the failing instruction will confirm whether that is true and which
instruction it is.

-JimC