[asterisk-users] Same provider - IAX sounds bad, SIP sounds great

Alejandro Imass ait at p2ee.org
Wed Feb 29 12:26:21 CST 2012

On Wed, Feb 29, 2012 at 1:05 PM, Troy Telford <ttelford.groups at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 2012-02-29 15:25:49 +0000, Alejandro Imass said:
>>
>> We use SIP and IAX interchangeably, but had less hassle with IAX. The
>> topic of the discussion on this thread was that SIP is so awesome and
>> that IAX is a peice of crap.
>

> The original question (mine) was that my sound quality when using IAX was
> bad; with SIP the sound quality was great. Critically, I mentioned that I
> wanted to use IAX; I even said I was willing to do some "self torture" to
> get IAX working properly.

Yeah, I wasn't referring particularly to the original post, just the
way the thread turned against IAX like if it's not a viable solution
and my point all along has been that for *us* IAX2 endpoints have
worked better and easier to configure than SIP ones. Then it turned
into a pissing contest, like you say, it happens in every list with
the topic this or that.

Again, as I pointed out to Steve above, and after reading all of your
that doesn't shadow the fact that IAX2 is working great for us with
el-cheapo endpoints like Atcom's AG-188N and I would wish that many
more manufacturers supported IAX2.

We are happy with IAX and honestly never even had the need/curiosity
to deal with the many SIP/NAT problems where sometimes it works great,
and other times is a real pain in the ass that takes huge amounts of
support to fix, and unhappy customers. On the other hand, IAX  took
some engineering efforts at first, but the support issues are
practically non-existent.

--
Alejandro Imass