[asterisk-users] Same provider - IAX sounds bad, SIP sounds great

Steve Totaro stotaro at asteriskhelpdesk.com
Wed Feb 29 13:10:16 CST 2012

On Wed, Feb 29, 2012 at 1:26 PM, Alejandro Imass <ait at p2ee.org> wrote:

> On Wed, Feb 29, 2012 at 1:05 PM, Troy Telford <ttelford.groups at gmail.com>
> wrote:
> > On 2012-02-29 15:25:49 +0000, Alejandro Imass said:
> >>
> >> We use SIP and IAX interchangeably, but had less hassle with IAX. The
> >> topic of the discussion on this thread was that SIP is so awesome and
> >> that IAX is a peice of crap.
> >

> > The original question (mine) was that my sound quality when using IAX was
> > bad; with SIP the sound quality was great. Critically, I mentioned that I
> > wanted to use IAX; I even said I was willing to do some "self torture" to
> > get IAX working properly.
> >

> Yeah, I wasn't referring particularly to the original post, just the
> way the thread turned against IAX like if it's not a viable solution
> and my point all along has been that for *us* IAX2 endpoints have
> worked better and easier to configure than SIP ones. Then it turned
> into a pissing contest, like you say, it happens in every list with
> the topic this or that.
>
> Again, as I pointed out to Steve above, and after reading all of your
> that doesn't shadow the fact that IAX2 is working great for us with
> el-cheapo endpoints like Atcom's AG-188N and I would wish that many
> more manufacturers supported IAX2.
>
> We are happy with IAX and honestly never even had the need/curiosity
> to deal with the many SIP/NAT problems where sometimes it works great,
> and other times is a real pain in the ass that takes huge amounts of
> support to fix, and unhappy customers. On the other hand, IAX  took
> some engineering efforts at first, but the support issues are
> practically non-existent.
>
> --
> Alejandro Imass

I always posted that my view was based on experience.

My nieces and I made a viable home phone system out of strings and paper
cups....

It is a real pain when you grow so large and then have to switch over to
SIP, might as well go with an Industry Standard then code that is and has
always been broken since it's inception.  You will find IAX2 trunking
issues dating back to 2005 and all sorts of IAX2 related problems since I
started way before Asterisk 1.0.  They have never got it right, SIP either,
but at least SIP is compliant enough to work just about all the time unless.

Try IAX, the predecessor of IAX2.

My alternator is currently not charging my battery enough for nightime
driving unless I turn off the radio and A/C.  It is fine without the extra
variables.  This is nothing new.

Knowing that when the demand rises, my battery will die and the vehicle
will falter and eventually stall means I am going to replace the
alternator.  Say I need my High Beams or to charge something via cig
lighter, I will end up stranded and need to take emergency action.

I could buy a used alternator, but I have no past experience with it and
have no idea how it will perform.

My choice of proper course of action is to put in something that is known
by all to work, maybe a bad unit, but backed by an immediate exchange.  I
will replace the battery and inspect other potential problem areas and
eliminate them as well.

Now I will have averted any problems down the road by doing it the right
way rather than hopping along on something that has been borken since day
one.

If you are going to do the job, do it right from the start so that you can
grow or change with ease and use real recognized standards.

If you are just playing around, do whatever.  Actually do whatever, and
learn the hard way, I don't care, just trying to help.

Thanks,
Steve Totaro