[asterisk-users] Same provider - IAX sounds bad, SIP sounds great

Troy Telford ttelford.groups at gmail.com
Wed Feb 29 12:05:53 CST 2012

On 2012-02-29 15:25:49 +0000, Alejandro Imass said:
> We use SIP and IAX interchangeably, but had less hassle with IAX. The
> topic of the discussion on this thread was that SIP is so awesome and
> that IAX is a peice of crap.

The original question (mine) was that my sound quality when using IAX
was bad; with SIP the sound quality was great. Critically, I mentioned
that I wanted to use IAX; I even said I was willing to do some "self
torture" to get IAX working properly.

I only wanted some help in figuring out what was 'wrong' with my IAX
configuration.

After a few suggestions, Kevin Fleming noticed I was using "trunk=yes,"
and it was likely that my Asterisk install was being affected by a
just-fixed bug.

Disabling trunking fixed the problem - the voice sounds great even in
my worst-case scenerio (which was always almost unintelligible).

The devolution into a flamewar is unfortunate, but such things are
inevitable whenever a 'this' vs 'that' question is posed.

For instance, is the Yugo really any worse than the competing Trabant?
The only correct answer is to fling them both with a Trebuchet and see
which one flies farther.
--
Troy Telford