[asterisk-users] SIP hardware phones

Olivier oza_4h07 at yahoo.fr
Thu Feb 9 04:04:11 CST 2012

2012/2/8, Carlos Alvarez <carlos at televolve.com>:
> If the customer is so cheap that they won't properly build out the network,
> why would they have gigabit switches to the desktop which have a limited
> set of applications that actually benefit from it?
>
> Then there's PoE, which is expensive to start and very expensive with
> gigabit.  So this mythical customer is too cheap to cable, but will buy a
> gigabit switch of dubious value, will they buy a PoE gigabit switch?  If
> not, why not buy a value-priced PoE 100m switch which has a clear benefit
> instead of a low-end GB switch of dubious value?
>
> I just don't see the fit, and I'm guessing the vendors don't either.

I disagree here : what if you're changing your telephony system this
year and you'll upgrade your network next year ? Would you buy high
end phones for everybody, just for that ?
Needing Gigabit to the desktop doesn't imply you a SIP phone with a
large or color screen.

I also visited locations like University campus in which a Cat5 is a
scarce resource.

Having low end Gigabit phones allow a more modular procurement, if I
may call it this way, and is a useful mean to protect investments.

  What