[asterisk-users] SIP hardware phones

Patrick Lists asterisk-list at puzzled.xs4all.nl
Wed Feb 8 09:12:57 CST 2012

On 08-02-12 14:37, Jason W. Parks wrote:
>  From everything I've researched to date, my understanding is most
> locations have chosen to double their port density and continue to
> service the phone and computer on separate ports than to share a single
> line for both computer and phone. Reason primarily mentioned being
> troubleshooting concerns. If this is the case, the second port is not
> required, and become nothing but another gimmick to sell to you.
>
> Is this everyone else's experience as well?

No the opposite. I have never heard of troubleshooting problems when
using the switch on the phone. Maybe cheap crappy phones give you
problems but I have never seen it with Polycom, Aastra, Snom or Cisco.
Also you would need to have a second LAN port at each desk. I have come
across only 2 places where that was the case and that's only because
they had downsized freeing up LAN ports formerly belonging to the other
desks in the room.

Regards,
Patrick