[asterisk-users] Asterisk 11 - BLF on Custom devices

Noah Engelberth Noah at directlinkcomputers.com
Tue Aug 21 13:52:17 CDT 2012

> I'd do a packet capture -- ideally from the phone, or using your switch to mirror the phone's port -- and look for a SIP NOTIFY. Then

> we can know if a NOTIFY is not being sent, or if it's just not being processed as desired by your Cisco SPA 509G. If it's not there, do

> the same on your asterisk server, and if we see it on the asterisk server but not at the endpoint, we can suspect network

> configuration.

> You can also get some more detail about what endpoints are subscribed with "sip show subscriptions" in the asterisk console, but

> since it says "Watchers 2", that suggests the subscription has been made. I'd just verify that specifically the device you are using for

> testing is subscribed.

> Also, I know if you turn the verbosity up high enough (core set verbosity 3) you will get messages in the console about notifications

> sent. You can also "set sip debug on" or something along those lines and have Asterisk print all the SIP traffic it's attempting to send.

> Should help you narrow the possible causes.

Here's the sequence I'm seeing with a packet capture from the Asterisk server:

-          301 calls 302.  The INVITE from 301 hits Asterisk.  Asterisk sends back 100 Trying, and then a NOTIFY to 302 and 303 (which are both subscribed to 301, and they see 301 change to "in use").  302 and 303 send back 200 OK for the NOTIFYs.

-          Asterisk sends the INVITE to 302.  302 sends back 100 Trying and then 180 Ringing.  After the 180 Ringing, Asterisk sends a NOTIFY to 301 (which I have subscribed to hint 305, which is mapped to SIP/<device> corresponding to the one I have logged in as 302).  No other NOTIFY updates are sent at this time.

-          I pick up on 302.  302 sends a 200 OK with session description to Asterisk.  Asterisk ACKs this 200 and then sends 2 NOTIFYs to 301 (which is subscribed to both the 302 "Custom device" hint and the 305 "SIP Physical device" hint), and also sends 1 NOTIFY to 303 (which is only subscribed to the 302 "Custom device" hint).

-          While 301 and 302 are still "on the call", 303 calls 302.  The INVITE from 303 hits Asterisk.  Asterisk sends back 100 Trying, and then a NOTIFY to 302 (subscribed to the "Custom device" hint for 303) and 2 NOTIFYs to 301 (subscribed to both the "Custom device" and "SIP Physical device" hints).

-          Asterisk sends the INVITE to 302.  302 sends back 100 Trying and then 180 Ringing.  After the 180 Ringing, Asterisk sends a NOTIFY to 301 (which updates the "SIP Physical device" hint).  No other NOTIFY updates are sent at this time.

-          303 cancels the call and sends a CANCEL to Asterisk.  Asterisk responds with 200 OK, sends a NOTIFY to 301, sends a CANCEL to 302, and then sends another NOTIFY to 301.  303 then ACKs Asterisk's SIP 487, and Asterisk sends 1 additional NOTIFY to 302 and 301.

-          301 and 302 finish their call.  Asterisk sends a total of 1 NOTIFY to 302 (the status for "Custom device" 301), 2 NOTIFYs to 303 (the status for "Custom device" 301 and 302), and 2 NOTIFYs to 301 (the status for "Custom device" 302 and "Physical Device" 302).

So, it looks to me like I'm missing NOTIFYs for RINGING or RING_INUSE events on Custom devices.

(Slightly sanitized) Verbose 3 output is pastebin'd: http://pastebin.com/q51XUeHe

The short of the output is - there is no console output showing == Extension Changed 302[hints] new state on the Ringing or InUse&Ringing events - only on InUse or Idle events (which matches what I'm seeing on the phones).

Thank you,

Noah Engelberth

MetaLINK Technologies