[asterisk-users] CallerID inconsistently presented through ISDN/cellular networks

Olivier oza_4h07 at yahoo.fr
Tue Oct 11 13:10:44 CDT 2011

2011/10/11 Warren Selby <wcselby at selbytech.com>

> On Tue, Oct 11, 2011 at 11:06 AM, Olivier <oza_4h07 at yahoo.fr> wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I'm facing a strange problem.
>>
>> My setup is:
>> Alice cellphone <--GSM--><--ISDN--> Asterisk <-- ISDN --><--GSM--> Bob
>> cellphone
>>
>> When Alice calls Asterisk which forwards the incoming call to Bob,
>> sometimes Bob sees Alice's number, sometimes he sees a default CallerID
>> (which happens to match the dialed number and the ANI).
>> For various reasons, Bob really needs to see Alice's number when Alice is
>> calling.
>>

> Is the outbound leg of the call always going out over the same outbound
> provider?

Yes: in this case, ISDN and GSM networks are both operated by incumbent
telco.

> Step up the verbose level to 10 and then make a few test calls until you've
> got a successful callerID and an unsuccessful callerID, then paste an
> example of each call (the complete call, from the initial inbound to the
> hangup on the other end) in another email and we can review them for any
> discrepancies.

I'll start a test session in a couple of minutes and report here.

The strangest things is this inconsistency: I can imagine million of reasons
why a number is not presented but I can't think of any explaining why it
would change in a couple of hours.