[asterisk-users] Digium FFA + Gafachi T38 outgoing issues

Ryan Wagoner rswagoner at gmail.com
Sat Oct 8 16:36:38 CDT 2011

On Sat, Oct 8, 2011 at 3:51 PM, James Sharp <james at fivecats.org> wrote:
> On 10/08/2011 02:38 PM, Ryan Wagoner wrote:
>
>> I signed up with Gafachi a few weeks ago to use them for T38 as well.
>> I haven't had any luck getting it to work. I have been mainly trying
>> to use Asterisk in T38 pass through mode and have tested with a
>> Linksys SPA2102 and Zoiper. Gafachi basically told me they have many
>> customers utilizing their T38 implementation and that it works. When
>> asked for a list of compatible devices they said there were too many
>> combinations and it was up to me to find a working solution.
>
> I wonder how many of these customers are just getting fallback to G711 when
> the T38 stack falls over.  Heck, I thought I was getting T38 until I
> realized that I had SendFAX running with the audio fallback option. Turned
> that off, and fax fails 100% of the time.
>
>> I am still looking a PAYG service provider that has a working T38
>> implementation. It seems like these are impossible to find.
>
> I found t38faxing.com.  I was going to try them until I saw that their
> opening credit is $10.  More than I want to spend to try for just home
> faxing.

I tried to sign-up with them a week ago, but received an error
message. I went to their contact page and saw the grnvoip.com email.
It turns out grnvoip and t38faxing are both owned by ez call service.
I signed up for grnvoip.com, but was unable to get the t.38 faxing to
work. Additionally ez call service's administration panel is not laid
out the best and doesn't let you change the static IPs that are
allowed to send calls to them.

I have tested T38 faxing and pass through with Asterisk 1.8 and
combinations of the Linksys SPA2102 ATA, Zoiper, and Asterisk. The
faxes are sent and received successfully. Analyzing the packet traces
with Wireshark shows they were sent with T38. I just need to find a
provider that has a working T38 implementation.

Ryan