[asterisk-users] res_timing_timerfd.so Vs res_timing_dahdi.so

A E [Gmail] all.eforums at gmail.com
Mon May 16 20:26:48 CDT 2011

On Mon, May 16, 2011 at 10:27 AM, satish patel <satish_lx at hotmail.com>wrote:

>  Thanks Leif,
>
> I had changed it to res_timing_dahdi and since last few days it seem good.
>
> -S
>
> > Date: Sun, 15 May 2011 15:48:03 -0400
> > From: leif.madsen at asteriskdocs.org
> > To: asterisk-users at lists.digium.com
>
> > Subject: Re: [asterisk-users] res_timing_timerfd.so Vs
> res_timing_dahdi.so
> >
> > On 11-05-13 11:39 AM, isrlgb at gmail.com wrote:
> > > I haven't tried with timerfd but with timer pthread 1.8 is very
> unstable
> > >
> > > I think I have seen a post to the list from kevin fleming that the same
> is for timerfd that there is a nasty bug which they haven't found the reason
> for yet
> >
> > My experience is that you should pretty much always use res_timing_dahdi
> unless
> > you're on a platform on which you can't install DAHDI. You don't need any
> > hardware to use timing from DAHDI because timing is generated by the
> kernel.
> >
> > My order of preference for stability is:
> >
> > * res_timing_dahdi
> > * res_timing_timerfd
> > * res_timing pthread
> >
> > The timerfd and pthread modules are relatively new, and sometimes people
> run
> > into stability problems while using them. If you can use res_timing_dahdi
> > recommend you do so.
> >
> > Leif.

following this advice, is there a quick and minimal way to install/use
res_timing_dahdi without having to build/compile/install the whole dahdi
package and all the other modules associated with it? back in the zaptel
days, I used to be able to modify the Makefile and compile JUST the ztdummy
module to provide timing for meetme. Haven't touched * for a while esp.
Zaptel/Dahdi, so not sure how it works anymore. I'm assuming to get
res_timing_dahdi, I need dahdi_dummy installed at the very least? Do I need
the kernel source packages like in the old days to compile DAHDI against the
Kernel etc?

Thx so much