[asterisk-users] res_timing_timerfd.so Vs res_timing_dahdi.so

Shaun Ruffell sruffell at digium.com
Mon May 16 21:20:50 CDT 2011

On Mon, May 16, 2011 at 09:26:48PM -0400, A E [Gmail] wrote:

> following this advice, is there a quick and minimal way to install/use
> res_timing_dahdi without having to build/compile/install the whole dahdi
> package and all the other modules associated with it? back in the zaptel
> days, I used to be able to modify the Makefile and compile JUST the ztdummy
> module to provide timing for meetme. Haven't touched * for a while esp.
> Zaptel/Dahdi, so not sure how it works anymore.

In the dahdi-linux package you can edit drivers/dahdi/Kbuild and comment out
every module except for dahdi.ko. So looking in that file you will see
something like:

obj-$(DAHDI_BUILD_ALL)$(CONFIG_DAHDI)                   += dahdi.o
#obj-$(DAHDI_BUILD_ALL)$(CONFIG_DAHDI_DUMMY)            += dahdi_dummy.o
obj-$(DAHDI_BUILD_ALL)$(CONFIG_DAHDI_DYNAMIC)           += dahdi_dynamic.o
obj-$(DAHDI_BUILD_ALL)$(CONFIG_DAHDI_DYNAMIC_LOC)       += dahdi_dynamic_loc.o

Here dahdi_dummy is commented out.  Just comment out all the other modules
(lines that start with obj-) and leave only dahdi.o.

dahdi.ko now automatically monitors the spans and if there isn't one providing
timing, it will use the built in timing source which functions very similarly
to dahdi dummy of the past.

> I'm assuming to get res_timing_dahdi, I need dahdi_dummy installed at the
> very least?

Since dahdi-linux 2.3.0, all you need is dahdi.ko. There is no more
"dahdi_dummy" module required unless you specifically install it.

> Do I need the kernel source packages like in the old days to compile DAHDI
> against the Kernel etc?

You will still need the kernel sources to compile dahdi.ko against. Also when
you install dahdi-tools, you will want to comment out all the lines in
/etc/dahdi/modules so that the init script does not try to load any of the
board drivers.

--
Shaun Ruffell
Digium, Inc. | Linux Kernel Developer