[asterisk-users] receive faxes

David Backeberg dbackeberg at gmail.com
Thu May 5 13:09:00 CDT 2011

On Thu, May 5, 2011 at 1:43 PM, vip killa <vipkilla at gmail.com> wrote:
> The majority of open source projects out are NOT run by commercial
> institutions...

Postfix kicks butt. But only because IBM paid for development, for a
long number of years, and because they hired somebody who had a really
good idea how to improve Sendmail.

Asterisk kicks butt. It just does, even if you can't get your silly
faxing edge case to work, because Digium paid for development, for a
long number of years.

There are also people who come along, and because the source is
available, fix a particular bug that annoyed them, or added a feature
they personally wanted.

T.38 has a boatload of problems, and most of those problems are
because people who aren't employed by Digium did not read the specs,
or they did read the specs, but felt like they had to violate the
specs to get their code to work with a different broken T.38 stack.

I've personally fixed problems with asterisk, and I found my code
contribution accepted. Perhaps you've submitted patches the bug
tracker? We eagerly anticipate your voluntary code contributions.

Maybe statistically, there are more open source projects out there
that have non-paid lead developers, and they do their work on their
own dime, and on their own time.

But unless you're lucky enough to live in a place where you can hunt
and gather for everything you need, you need money to live in a
society, and have the resources to be able to sit at a keyboard long
enough to churn out code.

I could only afford to make my 'code contribution' because I have a
day job where I needed the fix.