[asterisk-users] Discussion: Are we ready to leave 1.4 behind?

Paul Belanger pabelanger at digium.com
Thu May 5 09:56:28 CDT 2011

On 11-05-04 06:01 PM, Matt Riddell wrote:
> On 3/05/11 4:01 AM, Hans Witvliet wrote:
>> Just a thought
>> If "Digium" / "the community" realy want an objective way of deciding
>> whether can/should migrate to any other version, you realy need a
>> feature-matrix (pethaps starting from version 1.2.*)
>>
>> And for every and each version a statement if it is:
>> - discontinued
>> - tested
>> - test finalized, result indicating it is fully and identically
>> functional
>> - test finalized, result indicating that this feature is changed in
>> either behaviour of configuration
>> - not yet tested.
>
> +1 From me - this would be fantastic!

Here is the thing, there is nothing stopping 'the community' today from
doing this.  In fact, we already have a testsuite [1] in place, running
each subversion commit and producing results for the last year.  But
this is only one type of testing; automated, we also have unit tests
built into Asterisk that run too (EG: a unit test to parse SIP URI).
Again, each subversion commit we run the tests and validate results.

There is still lots of work that needs to be done though. More test
plans and test cases to be added, more code to be written and libraries
added, getting more people involved in testing Asterisk Release
Candidates (RCs) or patches on the issue tracker.

That is the hardest part, getting people involved.  Sure it is easy to
say Asterisk is not stable, not production ready or it crashes all the
time; fair enough but we have tools in place to help resolve that. Just
in this thread alone I don't believe one person has answered the call of
Olle to volunteer time to help maintain Asterisk 1.4 (if I am incorrect
please speak up, I must have missed your name). Additionally, this
almost exact point was raise on the asterisk-dev mailing list in 2009
[1] (a great read BTW, lots of great ideas) however due to the lack of
interest it did not go to far.

So how can we fix this?  How can we get more people involded?  What
makes projects like FedoraTesting[3] and DebianTesting[4] popular?  How
can the Asterisk project reproduce their success?

As I've said before, I'm more then willing to help with answering
questions about the testsuite or reviewing code that people want to get
merged in.  We also have an IRC channel, #asterisk-testing available for
people to join, ask question, idle, lurk, etc, or if you want to reply
to this thread, feel free.  But get involved! :)

[1] http://lists.digium.com/pipermail/asterisk-dev/2010-February/042387.html
[2] http://lists.digium.com/pipermail/asterisk-dev/2009-March/037262.html
[3] http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/FedoraTesting
[4] http://www.debian.org/releases/testing/