[asterisk-users] Discussion: Are we ready to leave 1.4 behind?

Olle E. Johansson oej at edvina.net
Thu May 5 03:07:58 CDT 2011

5 maj 2011 kl. 05.28 skrev Flavio Goncalves:

> My 2 cents. All these problems seem to be lack of focus. Digium,
> please stop doing everything to everyone. Too many versions, too many
> features, too many code, too many bugs. Following the Pareto's
> principle, 80% of the users use only 20% of the code. My suggestion is
> to start thinking of Asterisk as a platform taking care of only 20% of
> the code. Digium is in position to create a market place for free and
> commercial Asterisk applications, drivers and modules. Look at some
> other open source communities such as Joomla at
> http://extensions.joomla.org, There are more than a thousand modules
> maintained by the community. Imagine, do you want a multitenant
> parking module? Great there is one in Digium App Store for a few
> dollars. Digium could have its own commercial modules. Support for 3rd
> party applications would be up to the 3rd party developers. Why iPhone
> developers make money and Asterisk developer's usually don't? If
> people pay for silly games in iPhones wouldn't they pay for a Unistim
> driver if they have hundreds of compatible phones?

What you are describing is in the architecture for Asterisk SCF. The "F" stands for Framework, which hints at the ideas behind it.

Asterisk as it exists today has been around for a long time. There are many, many extensions around and we also have the forge and the marketplace. It will be hard removing stuff from the distribution, imagine the reaction - considering my latest reaction to the 1.4 actions :-)

> I would like to say that I have a deep respect for Asterisk and Digium
> that redefined the global telephony market, but stuffing Asterisk with
> many  new features on each version does not seem to be contributing to
> the stability of the code or the migration to newer versions.

Thanks for your input!

/O