[asterisk-users] Cordless VoIP Phones and Access Point hand-off?

Paul Hayes paul at provu.co.uk
Thu May 5 05:13:48 CDT 2011

On 05/05/11 00:02, Ira wrote:

> Not that it applies but I recently installed a Snom M3 and it seems to
> behave like you want. When I walk out of range and then back in the call
> is usually still there. I've not tested past that so it might hang up
> after an unknown timeout.
>
> Ira

The difference here is that the M3 is a DECT phone.  So the SIP leg of
the call terminates on the base station itself.  If the handset goes out
of range of the base then the base can decide to just keep the call
going.  Wifi is a bit different because Asterisk will see the RTP stream
stop and qualifies being lost.  There are probably work arounds but
personally I believe DECT is a far superior protocol for voice and
hand-over usually works better.