[asterisk-users] Cordless VoIP Phones and Access Point hand-off?

Duncan Turnbull duncan at e-simple.co.nz
Thu May 5 07:21:17 CDT 2011

Not sure if you are issuing DHCP at the access point or from a central control

From a central control should allow seamless roaming within different APs, assuming easy auth to the AP, the only issue you get is when the handset dithers between choosing signals from one or the other, and thats not that common.

If your auth to the AP is simple e.g. wpa2 (something the phone can handle with no effort) and you have DHCP centralised then the phone should move happily (depending on your phone).

We had a WISP Cafenet in Wellington with open access and you could keep a call up walking along the street. The DHCP was centralised so no reauth between APs or reregister (as you change ip addresses) required, just connect and carry on. You could get a couple of km down the main streets if you had a need to talk that long.

Cheers Duncan