[asterisk-users] Discussion: Are we ready to leave 1.4 behind?

Olle E. Johansson oej at edvina.net
Thu May 5 03:10:53 CDT 2011

5 maj 2011 kl. 06.33 skrev Olivier:

> 2011/5/5 Flavio Goncalves <flavio at asteriskguide.com>
> <snip>
> but stuffing Asterisk with
> many  new features on each version does not seem to be contributing to
> the stability of the code or the migration to newer versions.
>
> yes but it seems to me that code stability is improving.
> Maybe next 1.10.0 version will be "production-ready" from day 1 ?

Unless a lot of users step in to test the pre-releases, that will not happen with new code in this project or any other project. It just takes time. The more people that test, file bug reports, patch code and helps us through the process, the better.

I would like to suggest that the community put more eyes towards helping with the test system. The test system, as Russell pointed out earlier, is a huge improvement that saves us from repeating a lot of mistakes. Ideally, for every bug fix we should add a test to make sure it doesn't come back... The test system makes every release better than previous releases. And it can help in your installation as well!

/O