[asterisk-users] HA Asterisk

Kaushal Shriyan kaushalshriyan at gmail.com
Sun May 1 23:07:32 CDT 2011

On Mon, May 2, 2011 at 1:46 AM, Jim Dickenson <dickenson at cfmc.com> wrote:

> On May 1, 2011, at 10:09 AM, Kaushal Shriyan wrote:
>

> On Sun, May 1, 2011 at 10:14 PM, Jim Dickenson <dickenson at cfmc.com> wrote:
>
>> Xorcom makes a box that connects via USB that can do failover. You connect
>> the box to the two system via a USB cable to each system. When the box
>> detects the primary system fails it switches over the the second one. No
>> need for any extra hardware, except a USB cable.
>>
>> http://www.xorcom.com/catalog/xr0015.html
>>
>> http://www.xorcom.com/optional-extras/twinstar.html
>>

> Hi Jim,
>
> Thanks for sharing the technical details. Still not able to understand the
> setup. Let me explain what i understand is the 8 PRI line would be connected
> to the xorcom box and from there USB out would be connected to Primary
> Asterisk Server and Secondary Asterisk Server.
>
> So we do not need any 8 port PRI Card on the  Primary Asterisk Server and
> Secondary Asterisk Server ?
>
> Please correct me if i am wrong.
>
> Thanks
>
> Kaushal
>

> Correct, there are no cards inside any system. You have an external box
> that can have a combination of PRI, FXO and FXS ports; depending on need.
> The external box is connected via USB to the two systems. The twinstar
> option allows you to connect the external box to two systems via USB and
> provides fall over from primary to secondary on failure of the primary.

Hi Jim,

Thanks for the explanation, I have couple of questions here.

1) Does the xorcom box support *8 Port PRI E1 Interface*. ?
2) Also the Primary and Secondary Asterisk Server can be any server which
will run Asterisk or AsteriskNow (http://www.asterisk.org/asterisknow)
Application and customizable or do i also need to buy this from Xorcom ? Not
sure i understand that.
3) How does the xorcom box communicate with the Asterisk Server which do not
contain any PRI Card inside the system.

Much Appreciated.

Thanks and Regards,

Kaushal