[asterisk-users] HA Asterisk

A E [Gmail] all.eforums at gmail.com
Mon May 2 03:10:08 CDT 2011

On Mon, May 2, 2011 at 12:07 AM, Kaushal Shriyan
<kaushalshriyan at gmail.com>wrote:

> Hi Jim,
>
> Thanks for the explanation, I have couple of questions here.
>
> 1) Does the xorcom box support *8 Port PRI E1 Interface*. ?
> 2) Also the Primary and Secondary Asterisk Server can be any server which
> will run Asterisk or AsteriskNow (http://www.asterisk.org/asterisknow)
> Application and customizable or do i also need to buy this from Xorcom ? Not
> sure i understand that.
> 3) How does the xorcom box communicate with the Asterisk Server which do
> not contain any PRI Card inside the system.
>
> Much Appreciated.
>
> Thanks and Regards,
>
> Kaushal

Kaushal,

1) it's all clearly explained on their page. Looking at the video, one can
tell they have 8 PRI ports on that box and 8 FXS ports and there's space for
3 further 8-channel modules that can be added. You can get an XR0111 for 8
PRIs (or XR0015 for BRI):
http://www.xorcom.com/telephony-interfaces/astribank-models.html

2) It also states there that the Astribank's drivers have been a part of
Zaptel/DAHDI since early 2006. Which means that it's MOST likely compatible
with any home-baked Asterisk installation without the need to buy Xorcom
Servers.

3) Lastly, it clearly uses these Astribank drivers in DAHDI to make the
Astribank channel bank as an external hardware to Asterisk to talk back and
forth. Since USB is a physical connection between the two, I'm sure if a
server is down, the software in Astribank can detect the lack of
connectivity on that USB port (i.e. voltage) as well as it might realise
there's no communication between it and the Astribank driver in DAHDI on the
Asterisk server.

One should not just try and get answers the easy way. You could've figured
all this out in 5 mins just like I did...not that I'm saying I'm really
smart ;)

Anyway, hope it helps :)

Now, I wonder what're the alternatives that people have been using for
Asterisk HA other than commercially available solutions like HAAST and
Astribanks assuming that kaushal is right and SCF isn't production ready
yet. Anyone wants to chime in here with a solution built with readily
available linux software like heartbeat , linux-ha, shared filesystems,
filesystem replication and of course asterisk realtime? My requirement might
be more along the lines of having several asterisk servers in a farm/pool
without actually caring about the failover, so it might not even matter for
me to worry about all of this, but I'm still curious as to what people are
doing out there.

Cheers