[asterisk-users] RTP keepalive doesn't work

Kevin P. Fleming kpfleming at digium.com
Fri Jan 28 08:54:26 CST 2011

On 01/27/2011 10:52 PM, Ryan Tucker wrote:
> So, I've done some more testing and got some more info.
>
> I have one endpoint that does silence suppression and one that doesn't. When the silence suppressing endpoint stops sending RTP, asterisk stops sending RTP to the other endpoint. I have disabled directmedia and directrtpsetup and it made no difference. I have even forced one endpoint to use GSM and the other to use ULAW (forcing asterisk to re encode everything) and asterisk STILL stops sending RTP when the endpoint does...

Asterisk doesn't have anything to send. What do you expect it to send
when it's not receiving anything? I see that we have an rtpkeepalive
configuration option, but I don't see that any code actually causes
keepalive packets to be sent anywhere... it did when it was first added,
but somehow that code has been lost.

This certainly warrants some investigation to find out when it was
removed and why, because the configuration option should have been
removed if the keepalive support was removed on purpose.

--
Kevin P. Fleming
skype: kpfleming | jabber: kfleming at digium.com