[asterisk-users] Top Posting

Tom Rymes trymes at rymes.com
Fri Jan 14 21:25:06 CST 2011

On Jan 14, 2011, at 8:52 PM, Don Kelly wrote:

I have nothing to add to the nascent flame war that I thought we had so narrowly avoided when I sent my last message. However:

> What did you mean, Andrew, about "Don's multiple
> signatures which I think he will review"?
>
> --Don

[snip]

Andrew meant these multiple signatures, and implied that, once you looked at them, you would realize it's a little redundant and not relevant to list users:

>> --Don
>>
>> Don Kelly
>>
>> PCF Corp
>> People Come First
>> 651 842-1000
>> 888 Don Kell(y)
>> 651 842-1001 fax

It's a free country, but given that you prefer a top-posting style where you don't trim previous messages (not judging here, just saying), you might consider omitting your signature for list posts, as it adds an additional eight lines to each message you send, which can really add up. Will it end hunger or bring about world peace? No. Will it be that little bit easier on everyone's eyes? Yes.

I think the main lesson from Andrew's post is that top or bottom posting doesn't matter anywhere near as much as trimming posts, so that only that portion of a previous message that you need for context is included, making the entire message compact and nicely legible.

Tom